American Institute of International LawAmerican Institute of International Law was an international scientific association for the study and progress of international law in the Americas. The idea to form an organization that would codify international law was established at a meeting of the Third Committee of American Jurists in Rio de Janeiro on July 16, 1912. The institute was founded on October 12, 1912 by James Brown Scott and Alejandro Alvarez, and inaugurated December 29, 1915, at the Second Pan American Scientific Congress, held in Washington, D.C. On January 6, 1916, it adopted a Declaration of the Rights and Duties of Nations. The Declaration differed from other projects of a like kind in that it was not based solely upon philosophic principles, but was based exclusively upon decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States.
The organization met irregularly through at least 1938, churning out several international law papers on topics such as statehood, diplomatic and consular agents, and peaceful international dispute resolution. By 1957, due in part to a lack of financial resources, the Institute was no longer active. Provided by Wikipedia
1The recommendations of Habana concerning international organization : adopted by the American Institute of International Law at Habana, January 23, 1917 : address and commentary /
HeinOnline U.S. Treaties & Agreements Library
2The recommendations of Habana concerning international organization, adopted by the American institute of international law at Habana, January 23, 1917;by Scott, James Brown, 1866-1943, American Institute of International Law, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Division of International Law“…American Institute of International Law…”