Justice through apologies : remorse, reform, and punishment /
"In this follow up to I Was Wrong: The Meanings of Apologies, Nick Smith expands his ambitious theories of categorical apologies to civil and criminal law. After rejecting court-ordered apologies as unjustifiable humiliation, this book explains that penitentiaries were originally designed to br...
New York, NY :
Cambridge University Press,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction. 1. The categorical apology revisited
- Part one. The penitent and the penitentiary : apologies in criminal law
- 2. Against court-ordered apologies
- 3. Apology reductions in criminal law
- Part two. Apologies in civil law
- 4. The institutional framework : economic outcomes and non-economic values
- 5. A practical framework for evaluating apologies in civil contexts
- Concluding call for collaboration