Democratic dictatorship : the emergent constitution of control /
Westport, Conn. :
|Series:||Contributions in American studies ;
no. 54 |
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Part I: The Climacteric: Humankind at a Turning Point
- Introduction: A Social Ice Age?
- Our Threatened and Threatening Planet
- Part II: The History: The Seamy Side of Democracy
- The Myth of the Golden Age
- The Nature of the American Constitution and Legal System
- "Reason of State" and the Modern State
- The Past as Prologue: Two Moralities in Public Behavior
- Part III: The Implications: Constitutional Crises
- The Myth of Liberal Democracy
- Caesarism Triumphant: Presidential Government Comes to Stay
- Government as "Controlled Anarchy"
- Part IV: The Future: The Emergence of the Constitution of Control
- The Future, Yes: The American Dream Endeth?
- The Future, Yes: The Tyranny of Technology
- The Future, Yes: The Constitution of Control