The Black image in the white mind : the debate on Afro-American character and destiny, 1817-1914 /
Middletown, Conn. : Scranton, Pa. :
Wesleyan University Press ; Distributed by Harper & Row,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Prejudice and reformism: the colonization idea and the abolitionist response, 1817-1840
- Slavery and race: the southern dilemma
- Science, polygenesis, and the proslavery argument
- Uncle Tom and the Anglo-Saxons: romantic racialism in the North
- White nationalism: "free soil" and the ideal of racial homogeneity
- Race and reconstruction
- The New South and the new paternalism, 1877-1890
- The vanishing Negro: Darwinism and the conflict of the races
- The Negro as beast: Southern Negrophobia at the turn of the century
- Accommodationist racism and the progressive mentality.